• Class council events such as Mr. Freshman, Ring Premiere, Elf, Freshman Org Night, Sophomore finals break, Madison Milestones and more
• VPSA events such as the Purple Out Distribution, Mr. and Ms. Madison, Student Graduation Speaker, SGA Speak Outs, the Danville Memorial Scholarship (in the process), and more
• Improved communication with the student body through websites made, business cards and magnets, blackboard accounts, email, screen names, anything to get the word out to students!
“Write Out Wednesdays”
• This year I’ve noticed that it’s easiest to get student opinion if you let them do it on their own without any pressure
• Plan to have a flipchart available the first Wednesday of every month in a different location on campus (Commons, ISAT, Showker, Memorial, etc.) where people can write out about anything that’s concerning them on campus, which is a very simple step
• These suggestions will then be assigned to relevant SGA committees and they will be worked on so that SGA can serve your needs!
On and Off Campus Safety
• Plan to start conversations with all off campus locations and see what options are available for securing off campus locations
• Work with the police department to see if we can expand on campus safety procedures to include off campus residents
• Plan to work with Events and Conferences and the IT department to discover new ways to advertise and make it readily available to JMU’s 330+ clubs and organizations
• Already in the planning process: using the different TVs in academic buildings to list events
• New idea to bring to IT: Using screen savers in different computer labs on campus to work as advertisements, similar to how the Grafton slides work
Collaboration with other student groups
• Get involved with other group’s events: this would mean making a team for another group’s fundraiser event, or lending a helping hand in planning an event, anything to get more involved with other orgs
• Work with presidents of other clubs to stay updated with what big things they are doing on campus so that we are all on the same page and we can combine forces to have a great impact on the student body
So what now you ask? Now it’s your turn to decide! JMU, it’s your turn to put the U back in Student Government—make sure that your voice is represented by placing people in office that you can depend on. I could sit here all day and tell you what kinds of plans I would love to see for JMU, but it’s not really about me, it’s about you. For this reason, “Write Out Wednesdays” is one of my biggest projects because with your student input it will make it easier for the SGA to serve you this year! Take control of your student government, and demand that they represent you, the students! So when considering your vote for the person who will fight for you, look for Candace Avalos on the ballot!
Have any questions? I’d love to chat! E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on twitter athttps://twitter.com/Candac
And join the event here: http://www.facebook.com/ev