Things SGA taught me

  • 0
Here is a list of different things I've realized over the last few years that my involvement in the Student Government Association has taught me:

1. How to work with difficult people.
2. Bureaucratic procedures can be a nightmare, but are sometimes necessary.
3. Not everyone is going to like you. Period.
4. If you don't set your goals with a clear end goal, you won't get anything accomplished.
5. Students can make a significant impact on campus.
6. Answering questions that you aren't prepared for is a lot harder than it looks - Sorry W, I get it now.
7. Administrators may have fancy titles, but they're still just average people.
8. Finding the answer to how to motivate young people to do anything is much harder than finding the fountain of youth.
9. People would much rather go extremely out of their way to avoid a handbill, than to actually just take one and move along.
10. Campaigns don't have to be expensive if you're just smart about it. Plus, spending all that money on a campaign is entirely unnecessary.
11. Don't burn bridges. You'll need them later.
12. Not responding to your email in a timely manner is not acceptable, and causes unnecessary drama.
13. Don't date people you work with.
14. You should never be without a business card.
15. If your Facebook event doesn't have a picture, you can just forget about people attending.
16. Advertise early. REALLY early.
17. You can't rely solely on electronic communication. Get out there!
18. Networking is necessary for survival in this dog eat dog world.
19. A simple apology goes a long way.

I owe a lot of my personal growth to my experiences in the Student Government Association. It challenged me to be stronger and to push myself to the absolute limit. Even as a graduate, it continues to teach me life lessons in the working world. Thanks SGA, it was a long 7 years, but I don't regret one moment of it.

In the spirit of Tacos,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment