Why so much Peace?

  • 0
During my sophomore year in college, I decided to change my life.

I came into college with a Psychology major and a Spanish minor. I was planning on going into a field of Criminal Psychology or Forensic Psychology. I wanted to end up working for the government one day work my way up through that system. It sounded like a great plan, and I decided it during the end of my junior year in high school. But then something happened that changed me.

I was sitting in a Sophomore Class Council meeting with my peers, and we were talking about our life goals at the tail end of our discussion. That's when it hit me. I didn't want to live an angry life! I didn't want to work for the government, be around very unstable people, push my family away, etc.  Would I truly be happy doing that? I don't think I would, and I realized that after that night. It's all been changing seen then, as in, the way that I view my world and how I want to live in it.

That's when I adopted peace and everything that it stands for. Right now a lot of people are very cliche and are going around throwing up peace signs and buying peace earrings and such, which is totally fine, because I definitely am doing the same thing, but it has a very deep meaning in my heart. Peace to me means being accepting of who I am and who others are so that we aren't in constant conflict. Peace means to work with others in this life through service and love, and not just look out for #1. Peace means to always choose people first, before material things in this world. Peace has pushed me to dedicate my life to service of others, and has motivated me to pursue things like the Peace Corps, Americorps, and Teach for America (I want to do all three). It means a lot to me and it has slowly been changing my world, and I love every moment of it.

So while sure it's fun to wear peace paraphernalia and walk around giving John Lennon quotes, it's important to define what it really means to you. What does peace mean to you? How do you choose to live your life? That's up to you of course! And that's just it, it's up to me to have a true passion for peace, and I choose to do so. It's the best revelation I've ever had, and I haven't looked back since.

Peace&Love,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment