Changing my Major, Changing my Life

  • 0
Well it looks like I'm going to be making a life changing decision for my senior year in college.

What?
I am changing my major from Psychology to Spanish. I was already minoring in Spanish so I had a head start on the major, and since JMU no longer offers the Psychology minor, it looks like I'm going to lose all those credits.

How?
I have been talking with the Spanish department, and it's looking like I can still graduate on time. I have a total of 13 classes left to graduate, I can do it, it just might mean some Maymester courses after graduation, no biggie!

When?
Well, now of course! =)

Why?
I'm sure this is what you've been waiting to read...
Basically I've wanted to be a Psychology major since 11th grade in high school. I had a really awesome teacher, Mrs. Hill-Wagner, and in our AP History class she talked a lot about psychology--I was intruiged. The following year I took AP Psychology and fell in love with it. I came into JMU knowing exactly what I wanted to do, and that was to study psychology and go into criminal justice and forensics, etc.

Sophomore year, I had a revelation and changed my way of life. I decided that I wanted to go to the Peace Corps and do more service work, because I felt that it was my calling. I still feel that way, and it's been working out for me. This past year, I worked a lot with immigrant issues, gave a lot of my service to the Harrisonburg community, and decided that I wanted to become a teacher instead. Teaching ESL and Spanish, and working for the school system, and possibly in the future working for Immigration in some way or dedicate my time to non-profit work.

Now, summer before senior year I've been thinking a lot about my future. Psychology just isn't doing it for me anymore. I haven't been doing that well in my classes and I've been apathetic about the topics. My Spanish classes actually went really well this year, and I decided that since I can't double major in time, it's probably best to just major in it.  Now don't get me wrong, I still love Psychology, in theory. I love what it stands for, and what it does, and I do not regret all of the wonderful things that I've learned in my years and I am so grateful for everything the Psychology department and its professors have given me. If there's anything I'll miss the most, it will be the absolutely wonderful teachers I had. 

But...
Like I've said before, my path has changed. I want to dedicate my life to immigrant issues honestly. I want to work with education to learn more about our nation's immigrants and help them, learn about them, and do my part to make it even a little better. I've always believed that education is key (even if my grades don't reflect it always).  I think I'll be much happier. I'm already happier, honestly! I just decided all this like yesterday in the shower, lol. I've given Psychology a good run, and maybe one day I'll go back to it, who knows!

So?
What do you think? 

Thanks for reading!
Peace & Love,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment