One side of learning please

  • 0

Today was my first field trip of the year.

We took the Gateway students into DC to visit the Natural History Museum. We got there around 10am and stayed until 1pm. At first I was freaking out because since it was my first field trip, I was really worried that I was going to lose some of the kids or forget to bring someone home. Well, yes I did lose the majority of them after about 15 minutes, but the other teacher assured me that they will all come back eventually, which they did. Note to self: if you've lost your kids on a field trip, the first place to look is at the food court. About an hour before it was time to leave I went to the food court and found about 90% of the students.

The students had a really great time walking around and learning new things. In social science we are learning about fossils, so this museum came at an appropriate time in the lesson plan. It was nice for them to get a more concrete understanding of the things they read about in their textbooks. A lot of them were asking questions and were really excited to see all the information they had about dinosaurs for example in their home countries. Making that connection between what seems so foreign and their home countries really brought the idea home with them.

All in all, the field trip was a success. Looking forward to my field trip to JMU next Friday with the Latin Dance Club!

Peace & Love,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment