Try Ignorance

  • 0
Motivating students to want to study is the hardest job I've ever had to do.

Everyday I struggle with my students trying to figure out different ways to motivate them to want to be in school. I think I've run out of stories in my memory bank of how important school is, why you need to try to graduate, and the opportunities that become available to you if you really dedicate your time to some education. Recently though I read a quote again and it finally really clicked in my head how simple the concept was. The quote reads: "If you think education is hard, try ignorance." One of the teachers in my department has it hanging up in her room, and I stare at it almost everyday, but it finally processed fully in my head. When I first saw it I thought oh sure that make sense but I guess I didn't really completely open my mind to it.

Try Ignorance. Try Ignorance. Try Ignorance. Try Ignorance. Try Ignorance.
This has been my mantra for the last week as I think about it deeper and deeper. It's such a simple and complex concept at the same time. Can you imagine how much harder your life would be if you didn't have even the basic education that you do? Honestly, now that I think about it, I've seen how difficult it is even in my own family. My grandpa for example never was fully educated, and it was so hard for him to make a life for himself here in the USA. Now I'm not saying my grandpa isn't brilliant, because he is probably one of the absolute smartest people I know, in wisdom and experience. Plus, watching the Discovery Channel 24/7 does actually improve your IQ if you ask me! But I just try to tell these kids, especially because my students are all immigrants to this country, that while they may think studying for this test is hard or learning a new concept is hard, it's nothing compared to how hard living a life of ignorance can be. It's so simple, just like that.

Yes I know these kids are all young, and I know that all of us at that age might have been a little rebellious against school, but I think that just telling yourself over and over again "Try Ignorance" really can impact your perspective on how important a simple education can be in your life. Motivating these kids is a daily struggle of mine, but I think little by little I'm getting to them everyday :)

Peace & Love,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment