Maximize Madison

  • 0
Growing up is not as fun as it sounded like when we were younger. I'll take a one way ticket back to 9th grade please!

Over the past few months after graduation I've been realizing that I'm pretty darn miserable in this thing called the "real world." The bills are unbearable, the stupid jobs are tiresome, the close friends are scarce, the amount of alcohol consumed is nearing empty, and the numbers of hairs I've pulled out of my head from frustration of living at home is slowly making me bald.

In Dr. Warner's Leadership class when it was nearing the end of the year, he told us that JMU, while being the best place on earth and a great time to spend your undergraduate career, should not be the "best years of your life" forever. He told us there was more to come, and that there will be better years down the road. Now, I love you Dr. Warner, and I hear ya, but frankly I just don't see that anytime soon. I can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel that supposedly leads me to my better years. I know I just recently graduated and I'm still in recovering mode, but the possibility of having "better years" in my near future is looking positively bleak.

I hate being a pessimistic patty and all, but I guess my message here is that JMU will be some of the best years of your life, so don't waste them. Don't waste them by getting wasted to the point of oblivion every weekend, or not showing up to class, or sitting in your room every night playing world of warcraft. JMU offers so many amazing opportunities for you to grow, meet new people, have new experiences, try out things you never thought you would, challenge your academic strength, and build truly lasting relationships with peers, teachers, advisors, administrators, and many more. Take advantage of that and make the most out of your Madison experience. I'd be a hypocrite if I said don't ever drink and don't ever skip class (sometimes we just need to unwind), but definitely expand your horizons and take more risks - college is your practice for the real world, and trust me, you are gonna need that practice.

Good luck JMU students this year, us alumni are out here waiting for you and we are rooting for you every single step of the way. And please take care of J Maddy for us, we don't want a repeat of April 2010 ;)

Peace & Love,
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment