There should be a law against this.

  • 0
Living at home when you graduate from college should be against the law.

It's so troubling that you spend 4 (or 5+) years finding your independence and experimenting with your boundaries as a free individual, to go back to square one when you move back into the house that you escaped from in the first place. Yes, of course, we could sit here and talk about how our parents really care about us and how they want the best for us so they shelter us for our own good - but who the hell would want to talk about that? Let's face it, we're grumpy, bitter college kids who are spoiled by freedom, and adding younger siblings and parents into that mixture is DEADLY.

College is a big tease.

You spend so much money and put yourself into so much debt for that piece of paper that supposedly tells the world, "I am capable of doing X, Y, and Z," and you hope and pray that with your combined college extracurriculars and your fancy piece of card stock paper that you can earn enough money in a new job that will help you continue to live and enjoy that freedom and lifestyle you've grown so accustomed to. It's a fallacy y'all.

On top of that, trying to explain to your parents that you're just acting like _____ or ______ (insert: whiny, lazy, bitter, pissy) because you are going through independent withdrawals is a lost cause because the only thing you're hearing in return is that you need to be more _______ and _______ (insert: responsible, focused, motivated, nice to your younger & annoying siblings). It's a cycle of them not wanting to hear you out, and you not wanting to hear them out. This just doesn't work!

So I guess by now you're thinking I'm going to tell you what the solution for these problems are....

Do I look like I have a solution?! I'm clearly this angry, bitter, ex-college kid, and we don't have solutions. I can't change my parents just as much as they can't change me. I know I'm going to pay for this when I have kids one day, and that I'm going to be telling my kids exactly what my parents are telling me, but I've grown to accept that this is a cycle of life - since I have to deal with being an annoyed recent graduate, my parents are going to have to deal with my bitterness. Hey, no one said being a parent was easy. I know I'll get over it eventually, but considering I just got out of the best experience of my life, aka JMU, I'm going to give myself another couple of months to grieve.

Freedom, this isn't a goodbye, but it's a see ya later until my job pays me enough to not be so bitter.

Peace & Love,
Candace

p.s. the "Under my roof you follow my rules" line is sooooo 1953.

No comments:

Post a Comment