Who runs the world? Girls.

  • 2
My friend Megan posted this quote on her Facebook status and it really spoke to me:


"We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving…We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins…We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive are our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers…We are the daughters of the feminists who said “You can be anything” and we heard “You have to be everything."


Wow, how powerful. 


I feel so lucky to live in a world that is the product of so many women activists fighting for gender equality. I grew up in a Hispanic home where misogynist habits sometimes overpowered the women in my family, but even with those obstacles to overcome I believe that my mom and grandma still taught me how to be a woman who stands up for her rights. They don't want me to marry "uninspired" men, they want me to marry someone that can be my partner and companion, not a chore. They want me to be educated & motivated and in tune with traditions that DON'T keep me down as a woman. They inspire me, and for that I thank them. Hopefully I can continue the legacy of strong Avalos women. 


In the spirit of Tacos,
Candace

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the strongest women I know. You are definitely continuing the legacy!

    ReplyDelete